60th Field Artillery Battalion
– “Loyal Support” –
Origin and World War II:
The 60th Field Artillery Battalion was activated at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, on October 1, 1940. The Battalion was under the command of Lieutenant Colonel .M. Harper. In its organization, personnel was transferred to this battalion as follows: From Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Battalion, 26th Field Artillery, to Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 60th Field Artillery Battalion.
The other transfer was from Batteries D, E and F, 26th Field Artillery, to Batteries A, B and C, 60th Field Artillery Battalion. The Service Battery was organized from personnel of other organizations within the battalion.
As part of the Ninth Division, the 60th Field Artillery battalion supported the 60th Infantry Regiment as one of the Division combat teams, using 105mm Howitzers.