Research Requests

Welcome to the 9th Infantry Division Research part of my website.

The main purpose of this website is to provide information about the World War 2 history of the great 9th Infantry Division and its men. You will find a lot of unit histories, Division composition, route of battle, pictures and events history on the website here. More and more will be added as time permits. 

In addition, you might be looking for more detailed information. Do you have a father, grandfather, uncle, brother, or know about any other veteran who has served with the 9th Infantry Division during WWII and you would like to learn more about his service or specific events he might have been involved in? Then you can request a search for information through this page by filling in the form below.

If I can find out more information to share, I will create an information package that contains the following:

– Division History.
– Regimental History
– Division Composition
– Route of Battle
– Battle Campaigns info
– Soldier Information
– Enlistment Records
– Overseas Activities
– Detailed information about events of death / wounding / MIA of soldiers
– Burial Information and honour. 

I feel that by adding a good overview of the Division’s history and composition, the place of the soldier I am researching in the big picture becomes clearer. With the help of archival records I can offer a document that you can print out and share with others. It will be easy to understand, and in a way, will be a tribute in its own. Over the years I have studied the battles in great detail, and I am often able to share more details about the circumstances of the death, wounding or missing of a soldier. Please know, I will always approach this with a high level of respect.

By researching an individual soldier, I personally also get to learn more about his life, which really means a lot to me. These men gave a lot or all for our freedom. We must never forget them.

As mentioned, the information for this soldier will be presented in a nice information package that I can email or, if you request so, mail to you. For all of my efforts I am only asking a voluntary donation to cover some of the costs I am making. If you wish to make a donation, please visit my donation page.

To make a voluntarily donation for my research, please use the below button.

Thank you for your consideration and donation.
I can assure you that your contribution will be used for 9th Infantry Division research only.


Please note: I am not an “Official Historian”. I have a full time job, a family and all my research and writing is done in my spare time. I will try to get back to you as fast as possible, but sometimes it might take a couple of days. I have spent many hours, days and months studying reports, combat interviews, books, documentaries and maps to get a better view of the events that I am interested in. I have walked the former battlefields many times as well. As you can imagine, obtaining information such as reports and other personal information, requires some time. It is not always possible to find all the answers to our questions. It can be very frustrating at times when it takes months for me to find an answer to a certain question or to connect a certain event to a certain Company, but I will always share any information I can find with you.


The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), Military Personnel Records, has custody of the personnel files for individuals who served in the Army, Army Air Forces, Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard during World War II.

In July 1973, a fire destroyed 85 percent of the Army and Army Air Forces individual personnel files, but the NPRC staff often is able to locate basic information relevant to a person’s service from other records in their custody. The fire did not affect records of the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard.

The preferred method of requesting information from NPRC is via the web at

When you open this link, you will find a lot of useful information.

Pertaining to Military Records, a form and other information about NPRC can be found at:

Requesting Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPF).

If you want to learn more about a soldier that was KIA or went MIA, you can request the IDPF. This is the Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). The IDPF will almost always establish his unit and give information on his burial. In many cases, it will also give valuable information about where and when he died, possibly including reports of the action in which he died. For men whose remains were never recovered or identified, extremely valuable records of the testimonies of his buddies are usually included, giving extraordinary information about the action, what happened to him, and when they last saw him.

The easiest way to obtain an IDPF is to download and fill out FORM 180. In Section II, tick the “Other” box and specify “IDPF”.

Another option is to send a letter. The letter should include your signed statement of willingness to pay the Freedom of Information Act fees for the work involved.

If you are requesting your relative’s IDPF, they may not charge you. It is not possible to request the files by just writing an email; you have to write a letter first. Mail the letter to the following address:

National Personnel Records Center – St. Louis
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Please note: The IDPFs for soldiers with their last names starting with the letters A to L are available now. Last names starting with the letters M to Z are being processed and organized at St. Louis.

To request more information about a 9th Infantry Division soldier, please fill in the below contact form to send me a message. Thank you. Let’s never forget what these men have done for our freedom.

Yuri Beckers